IDS mailing list archives

Re: RPC Evasion techniques

From: Jonathon Giffin <giffin () cs wisc edu>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 14:36:24 -0600

-----Original Message-----
From: Pukhraj Singh [mailto:pukhraj.singh () gmail com] Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 7:28 AM
To: tcp fin
Cc: focus-ids () securityfocus com
Subject: Re: RPC Evasion techniques

But here is an introductory paper you should definitely read:
http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/~rsg/Hidra/Papers/2004_vigna_robertson_balzarotti
_CCS04.pdf

You can also see

  Automatic generation and analysis of NIDS attacks.
  Shai Rubin, Somesh Jha, and Barton P. Miller.
  In 20th Annual Computer Security Applications Conference (ACSAC).
  Tucson, Arizona, December 2004.
  http://www.cs.wisc.edu/wisa/papers/acsac04/index.html

for evasion attacks against Snort, and

  Using attack mutation to test a high-end NIDS.
  Shai Rubin, Somesh Jha, and Barton P. Miller.
  In Information Security Bulletin, Volume 10, April 2005.
  Not available online; contact the first author.

for evasion attacks against TippingPoint UnityOne (now acquired by 3Com). The attacks were confirmed and fixed by the developers of each IDS/IPS.

Please be aware that I am not a disinterested third party; these authors are my colleagues and academic advisers.

Thanks,

Jon

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?