IDS mailing list archives

RE: Current state of Anomaly-based Intrusion Detection

From: "Orit Vidas" <orit () securimine com>
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 11:15:09 -0800

Goran,
I would like to refer you to an interesting white paper about 'Baseline
Analysis of Security Data'. You can fine it in security docs.

In a nutshell, the approach is that anomalies should not be identified
at the raw data level, but should be searched for in the security alerts
themselves. The reason is two folded: a) the raw data is simply too much
to perform non-local analysis, and b) working with the raw data loses
all the security context of the incident (signature description, how to
and what to do advises, relevant patches, etc.).

Orit Vidas
orit () securimine com