IDS mailing list archives

RE: Current state of Anomaly-based Intrusion Detection

From: "Gunnoe, Jason" <Jason.Gunnoe () thomson com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2005 14:45:49 -0500

On the contrary, I think that these large scale views would be perfect
for identifying a storm like slammer.  If that is what you team is
looking for.  How often do those come around?  I think the industry has
changed, or at least started to, and began to look a little closer to
home.  Perimeter defense is not as effective as a layered approach
because of the realities of business interconnects today. Patch
management, host based IDS and other technologies have really begun to
fill, or muscle in to, those gaps.  What I am saying is simply that when
the service is offered by a large ISP, it is much less valuable than
it's made out to be.  Yes, slammer deserves a spot on the great map of
internet disruptions.  However, I need something that is a little closer
to my assets. I.E. Something that can identify and/or verify lost
integrity, stolen PII, or a confidentiality breach.

In our ball court, everything else boils down to an SLA or noise.

Sorry, I'm getting off topic again...

jg