IDS mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability & Exploit Signatures

From: MadHat <madhat () unspecific com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:46:40 -0500

On Jun 16, 2005, at 7:25 AM, Kelly Dowd wrote:
I doubt there is any licensing of base signatures between vendors
(signature engines vary greatly between products, you can't just 'use'
another products sigs).   You will find that some developers look at
existing signature sets to get 'ideas', but it's far from a
one-for-one copy.  Companies must develop their own sigs just like
they develop their own appliances... it's a total package.

I think he might have meant signature data. Like does every vendor research every attack and vulnerability to create every signature or is there a company that sells the data to allow you to create your own signatures based on someone else's research.

-Kelly D.