IDS mailing list archives

Re: Vulnerability & Exploit Signatures

From: "M. Dodge Mumford" <dodge () nfr net>
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:39:50 -0400

Jackson Yu said:
Do all these vendors license the same set of "base" filters from, say,
Sourcefire / Snort derived rule source in the back?  Is there a
commonality there?  At the end of the day, can I say that "Gee, most
vendors' base set of 1500 IPS signatures are the same, its just the 300 or
so that the vendors have additionally developed on top of that 1500 that
are different!"

That's an interesting question that, as a vendor, I'm very interested in
seeing the answers to. I write N-Code for NFR, and while we use all
available public sources of information we can to get about how to detect
vulnerabilities, all of our code to actually perform detection has been
completely written from scratch in-house. When purchased, the N-Code that
does the detection is viewable in source code so that when we trigger
alerts, it is possible to determine precisely what caused the alert to
trigger. For those who learn to at least read N-Code anyway. :-)

--

Dodge