IDS mailing list archives

Re: Replacing antivirus soft with a real IDS/IPS

From: Jason Thompson <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2005 11:38:44 -0500

I don't think it's a good idea to knock out AV. A blended tool of AV
and HIPS / firewall would be great. Even most HIPS vendors will say
that they don't recommend getting rid of your current AV solution.

AV is not going to stop a targetted attack. If I put a trojan or some
other back door on your machine that doesn't match an AV signature...
and there are lots of them... I am free to do what I want, unchecked
pretty much. AV is very reactive and it counts on the fact that your
network is only affected by viruses / worms / trojans that already
exist in its database that is assumed to be updated; any of these even
slightly altered will bypass an AV signature and will be able to
infect your client PC. If its a 0-day attack, you're not well
protected and AV heuristics is poor at best. A combination of AV and
HIPS is the way to go. Make sure the HIPS is somewhat intelligent and
is capable of protocol / application anomaly detection and has a built
in firewall. ISS Desktop Protector does this, but I haven't had a
chance to put it through the paces yet. I will be soon, maybe over the
holidays when I have time.

Maybe see if your current AV provider has a HIPS product for desktop.
It would integrate better for sure, and would probably keep your
systems more stable as you won't have two separate software packages
contending to secure the desktop.

-J