IDS mailing list archives

Re: Replacing antivirus soft with a real IDS/IPS

From: Packet Man <packetman () altsec info>
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2005 12:40:36 -0600

carlopmart wrote:

Hi all,

I am going to setup a testing lab with several windows XP virtual machines. My pourpose is to do some tests with HIDS/IPS software for windows and not to use antivirus software. Can you recommends me some HIDS software for windows ( free software if it is possible)?.

And another question, will windows survive to several attacks (virus, trojans, etc) without using antivirus software ??? Have anyone tryied this??

Thank you very much and sorry for my bad english.

Your english is fine.

Check out Osiris for central host monitoring:

  http://www.hostintegrity.com/osiris/

Also, I find central logging essential for analysis.
I recommend running a central logging console on
GNU/Linux, possibly the same system used as the
Osiris managment console.

Meanwhile, Snare satisfies me for getting Windows
to log remotely:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/snare/

But, I'm not really sure doing without anti-virus
software is a good idea.  My recommendations
are Kaspersky and Sophos, but there are Windows
versions of Clamav:
  http://www.clamav.net/binary.html

Good luck.

--