IDS mailing list archives

Re: session logging IDS

From: Tod Beardsley <todb () planb-security net>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:37:49 -0500

Raj Malhotra wrote:

we definitely agree with david's and your observation that session
logging is not the goal of an IDS.  [...] could you please suggest some
> tools for session logging?

So, basically, you'd like to record all network traffic, since you will never know if an attack will take place during a given time period.

At that point, it comes down to merely logging everything with a device that can keep up with your throughput requirements and have enough storage to retain whatever time slice you need. As David intimated, no IDS/IPS product will do this.

I'm sure you could rig up a tcpdump solution with regular log rotations. If you're not concerned with data content, and just want to watch traffic patterns, the US Navy's Shadow[1] is worth looking into.

You might also want to peruse the Honeynet Project[2]; if you deploy a device that sees no legitimate traffic, then deciding what to log becomes a lot easier, as nearly all traffic flowing to/from the honeypot device is suspicious.

[1] Shadow Documentation: http://www.nswc.navy.mil/ISSEC/CID/Install3-MS.htm

[2] Honeynet Project Home Page:
http://www.honeynet.org/tools/index.html

--