IDS mailing list archives

RE: session logging IDS

From: "Paine, Steve" <Steve.Paine () ish com>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:41:54 +0200

Hi.

Dave has some good points - content checking is not really the realm of IPS
devices.

Intruvert, (i'm checking our intruvert 4000 configuration options right
now), can not capture a whole flow. Only the flow from 256 bytes before the
attack packet - and up to the end.

On any attack signature, you can also set the intruvert to capture 256 bytes
of 'application data'prior to an attack packet and then you can capture the
rest of the flow - defined in different ways:

Capture N packets
Capture until time
Capture rest of flow.

In theory I guess you could create a signature that triggers onthe first
packet of, say, a specific FTP connection and capture the whole lot.

Steve