IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort signature packet generator

From: Stefano Zanero <stefano.zanero () ieee org>
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 17:10:25 +0100

Graeme Connell wrote:
I'm attempting to train a neural network using snort, and I'm having trouble getting a good number of "bad" packets, IE: those that snort considers malicious.

Graeme,

a neural network is just a flexible classifier. The first thing you should tell us is WHAT are you training it on. The headers of the packets ? If so, it's pretty pointless to use traffic generators that create fake, "attack-looking" payloads.

If you are somehow considering the payload, you should be aware that this is a very difficult thing to do, and in no way generating "bad" examples from snort rules will help you obtain any better result than the snort rules themselves: you will just train a neural network which works like snort.

In my opinion, you should clarify better the proposed results of the experiments before choosing the tool for the job.

My 0.02 EUR (which is quite more than your usual 2 cents :)

Stefano

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT. Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.