IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort signature packet generator

From: ADT <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 10:59:37 -0800

IMHO, using a scanner such as Nessus would only train a neural network
how to detect a scanner.  Scanners in general, try not to send actual
exploits because it'll break the target.  Rather they non-intrusive
techniques such as banner grabbing to determine if a target is
vulnerable.

As earlier mentioned, Snot/Stick don't do TCP 3way handshakes and
hence don't generate legit traffic which would be useful to train a
neural net either.  Your best bet is to either get a  bunch of
exploits and run them (easy to find, but dangerous if you don't know
what you're doing) or find pcap's of actual exploits and use something
like tcpreplay to train (much harder to find, but safer).

-Aaron
--
http://synfin.net