IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS Testing Method

From: Nigel Houghton <nigel () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:44:45 -0400

On  0, M Shirk <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com> allegedly wrote:
If it is snort, you can use sneeze.pl to generate alerts. Also the common
way to test the IDS is to use a vulnerability scanner like Nessus and scan
a box, then run TCPDUMP and compare the packet count to make sure you are
not dropping packets.

Sneeze was written for Snort 1.8 and from the looks of it hasn't been
updated since. It will not generate any useful traffic to test current
Snort versions. It may however, generate events on other IDS that do not
keep track of state.

If you are speaking of signatures, I usually just create or compile the
exploits to make sure I am alerting on the traffic.

Not recommended for anyone but the experienced. Using tcpreplay to replay
packet data of some known bad stuff would be better. Either way, you'll
probably want to do these things in a lab environment.

Shirkdog