IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS Testing Method

From: "M Shirk" <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:17:49 -0400

If it is snort, you can use sneeze.pl to generate alerts. Also the common way to test the IDS is to use a vulnerability scanner like Nessus and scan a box, then run TCPDUMP and compare the packet count to make sure you are not dropping packets.

If you are speaking of signatures, I usually just create or compile the exploits to make sure I am alerting on the traffic.

Shirkdog