IDS mailing list archives

RE: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: "Fergus Brooks" <fergusb () evolve-online com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 09:43:25 +0800

Interesting statistic I read in the South China Morning Post this morning is
that only 1.6% of companies surveyed in Hong Kong have IDS but ~45% have
firewalls. Most have at least 1.5meg DSL. The firewall stat is a large
increase over the last few years - IDS is little changed.

So either the value of IDS is not being discussed with companies or the
merits aren't apparent due to poor marketing etc.

It can be a scary acronym-filled technology for end-users and a lot of
businesses simply couldn't care less if someone goes poking around their
perimeter. A few perceptions I guess it is up to the consultants and
integrators to remedy.

Can anyone tell me what the IDS take-up stats relative to firewalls are like
in the US or Europe?

Rgds...