IDS mailing list archives

Re: Is IDS/IPS worthless?

From: Stefano Zanero <stefano.zanero () ieee org>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 10:11:06 +0100

Mike Lyman wrote:

On Fri, 2004-02-20 at 10:31, Andrew Plato wrote:

So this speaker then challenged me to come up with verifiable metrics. I
replied that he would have to define what metrics he wants? What does he
consider a "viable metric" for performance.  He said "did they sell more
products, make more money?"  I replied "why is that the only metric that

Standard security ROI question when security doesn't have an ROI unless
you're selling security. Do locks on the doors help you sell more
product (unless you sell locks) or sprinkler heads in the ceilings help
you make more money?

Right. Security investment can be managed and evaluated with the same approach as business insurances. Does an insurance produce ROI ? No, it doesn't, but it lowers the risk to that ROI.

Would you prefer a return of 500$ with a risk of, say, 10%, or a return of 5000$ with a 90% risk of becoming 0 ? It probably depends on your investment and your conditions.

These are the questions that managers ask themselves when evaluating, for instance, wether they can afford insurance against theft, or they are willing to throw the money to phisical security, or both, or if they are more willing to cover the eventual cost of theft itself instead.

Whenever anyone talks about ROI in security investment, you should raise an eyebrow (Gartner reports, anyone ?).

--
Cordialmente,
Stefano Zanero