IDS mailing list archives

Re: Definition of Zero Day Protection

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 17:43:03 -0400

I think this is a question of determinism versus nondeterminism in intrusion detection systems. The anticipated (hoped for?) implication by the offending marketing group of a system that offers "Zero Day Protection" is that the system is somehow nondeterministic in how it goes about detecting attacks on the network and can therefore protect you from things that nobody knows about. People who know how IDSes work know that this is a load of BS, but you can't keep a good marketing person down.

The reality of zero day protection as it stands today revolves primarily around protocol anomaly detection and rate-based thresholding. If the value of the foobar field in some protocol is larger than some expected norm then we can predict that there's a problem/anomaly/attack in progress and we can alert/prevent said attack. We know that this is deterministic in effect, just that it's hard coded into the protocol analysis module (i.e. a hard coded "signature"). The concept of an IDS is simple, we tell it what to look for and it tells us when it sees it, but the process of telling it what to look for has determinism implicit in the actual code that gets put into the system if things are being hardcoded or into its "signatures" in a language based system.

Here's a pretty good example. We had rules available for Sasser about two weeks before Sasser actually hit the net. How did we do it? We wrote Snort rules that (statefully) analyzed the DCERPC protocol and were capable of detecting the exploitation of the vulnerability. In effect, we had "zero day protection" for everyone that was up to date on their Snort rules from Sasser. So it is possible to have "zero day protection" but it's still from a set of things that you can imagine ahead of time and let your security infrastructure know about. Truly unknown attacks will waltz right by everything, which is why defense in depth and monitoring are still important.

     -Marty