IDS mailing list archives

Re: Cisco CTR

From: Renaud Deraison <deraison () nessus org>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 16:55:24 -0500

On Mon, Nov 17, 2003 at 03:03:32PM -0500, Martin Roesch wrote:

[Disclaimer: I co-designed NeVO]

Nevo is being billed as
a passive vulnerability "scanner" whereas RNA is being billed as a
passive network discovery system.

No - you're playing with words. When  designing a vulnerability scanner,
you need it to give you information about the network assets (OS,
ports, versions...) - the simple fact that a mysterious port is open can be a
vulnerability in itself. Having designed Nessus before NeVO, I decided
to take the exact same approach: report whatever can be reported as long as it
make sense (reporting the "MAC address" of a host which is one hop away
does not, for instance).

What NeVO does not do though, is to draw a topology map based on the
number of hops separating the sensor from the remote hosts, since this is
only 1d data, and adding a 2nd or 3rd dimension to it relies on best guesses,
and in the end it does not reflect the reality.

Finally, keep in mind that NeVO is really just a sensor and that it's best to
exploit its data with our Lightning Console, otherwise I understand that the
amount of information might be difficult to grasp.

                                -- Renaud

Network with over 10,000 of the brightest minds in information security
at the largest, most highly-anticipated industry event of the year.
Don't miss RSA Conference 2004! Choose from over 200 class sessions and
see demos from more than 250 industry vendors. If your job touches
security, you need to be here. Learn more or register at
http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/RSA_focus-ids_031023
and use priority code SF4.