IDS mailing list archives

Re: Cisco CTR

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:41:26 -0500

Vendor Alert: I work for Sourcefire.

RNA is not a passive vulnerability scanner, vulnerability analysis is only a subset of what it can accomplish. I've taken to calling RNA a passive network discovery system (PNDS) since that's a more accurate description of what it does.

BTW, the demo that Joe saw was from a beta of RNA that we were running in-house, production versions should only be set to discover your internal network so you don't accidentally start mapping other people's networks with it. We had our internal sensors tuned that way for testing of preproduction units only, we don't condone mapping other people's networks with RNA.

     -Marty