IDS mailing list archives

RE: ISS RealSecure/SiteProtector or another IDS/firewall client?

From: "Bohling James CONT JBC" <james.bohling () JBC JFCOM MIL>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2003 12:04:54 -0500

        My team here has done some pretty good research and assessment on the ISS SiteProtector system.  There
conclusion is that it is way too immature and that Group manager should be used until future upgrades. I also would
suggest that the group manager be looked at because of the maturity.  However, with the ISS products the interfaces are
not too intuitive or clean.  Also, I would definitely look into the open source products, tripwire and snort (Now
supports Windows and Linux), Samhain, Integrit, Osiris, and Prelude.  We have had a lot of success with open source
products and the life cycle and open support for Snort is very good for being open source.
        Up to now, this isn't verified by any supporting authority but a lot of the IDS's out there are using the
opensource technologies under the covers with proprietary changes. Look at sourcefire the underbelly is Snort (I know
that Marty Roesch created Snort and started Sourcefire) but it is just an example of what technologies are using.

Thank You,
James T. Bohling, CCNA, Security+, MCP-Win2k
Network Security Engineer - JBC CoE
Joint C4ISR Battle Center (AMSEC)
116 Lake View Parkway
Suffolk, VA 23435
(W) 757-638.4032
Web: www.jbc.jfcom.mil
This email was produced and manufactured in America, and is a one-of-a-kind original.