IDS mailing list archives

Re: Low cost HID based IDS system

From: "Andrew Plato" <aplato () anitian com>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 17:31:36 -0700

I just wanted to ask if anyone out there had some ideas in regards to
deploying a low cost HID based IDS system.
The problem I have is that a few of our clients are quiet small and
whilst I would love to deploy a NID out to all of them they just can't
justify that sort of cost.
I need to set up a managed type of IDS service that is centrally
controlled by us and has a low cost per month to all of our clients.

Anitian designed a low-cost managed solution using RealSecure Desktop a
while back. Agents are cheap (about $75-$50 a pop if you buy them in
bulk). Its easy to install & manage and has a lightweight access and
control via ICEcap You can use SiteProtector, but I am partial to ICEcap
for sentimental reasons.

It's a name-brand people will recognized (ISS), its easy to use, hard to
mess up. At $75 a pop, if you charged $12.95 a month, you could easily
compensate for the cost in just a few months.

It only supports Windows, but my experience is that most small companies
that are not security savvy are Windows shops anyways.

Although, as noted, there are managed security providers already. You
have to keep such a solution simple and manage expectations. Its not
easy to make money on managed care. Not if you have to hire a 24/7
security team and support a data center. Suddenly those monthly prices
go from $9.95 a month to $990.00 per month, and not very many small
businesses have that kind of money. I've watched more than a few
companies (Salinas Group comes to mind) grow and collapsed on the
managed security theory.

If you're interested, shoot me a line. I can help you with the details.

___________________________________
Andrew Plato, CISSP
President / Principal Consultant
Anitian Corporation

Enterprise Security &
Infrastructure Solutions

503-644-5656 Office
503-644-8574 Fax
503-201-0821 Mobile
www.anitian.com

INTRUSION PREVENTION: READY FOR PRIME TIME?

IntruShield now offers unprecedented Intrusion IntelligenceTM capabilities
- including intrusion identification, relevancy, direction, impact and analysis
- enabling a path to prevention.

Download the latest white paper "Intrusion Prevention: Myths, Challenges, and Requirements" at:
http://www.securityfocus.com/IntruVert-focus-ids2