IDS mailing list archives

RE: VA/IDS Integration (Was: RE: re[2]: Intrusion Risk Assessment)

From: "David J. Meltzer" <djm () intrusec com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 10:53:55 -0500

Good list.  Also other interesting tidbits to note:

- Much of the bleeding edge functionality deployed comes from
integration work done by the security pros and not from the
off-the-shelf software; the scanners out there today widely vary in how
easy a motivated consultant can add these kind of tie-ins.  E.g., NetIQ
Security Analyzer does a great job with comprehensive XML support in
making doing this kind of integration a breeze whereas some other
scanners make you deal with unformatted log files or undocumented
databases (I'm not endorsing or denigrating any of these products as a
whole, just this is a nice feature others would be well-served to
emulate).

- ISS Internet Scanner has a feature "ActiveAlert" that will directly
send high-priority vulnerabilities directly to their RealSecure console
as an alert.

Also worth noting is that while most of the solutions out today work at
the correlation level (taking output from VA and using it to hone-in on
IDS results), there is also a lot of potential value in building the
relationships between these products at the engine-level.  Some of the
areas people are working on yet haven't found the way into most VA or
IDS solutions yet:

- Actively launching scans to validate vulnerabilities (technically
easy, though it has a host of potential security, dos, and network
performance problems that have led most vendors to stick with the easier
correlation solution for now)

- Inspecting traffic from hosts/services in the IDS for vulnerability
assessment (you touched on this with banners, though from an integration
perspective admins often use IDS today to identify 'policy violation'
vulnerabilities and you can dig much deeper into watching the actual
activity of a service to identify its vulnerabilities).

- Target-based IDS (TIDS) where the IDS is actively reconfigured to
monitor and prioritize for exploitation of actual vulnerabilities based
on vulnerability assessment data.  (see
http://lists.insecure.org/lists/ids/2000/Jul/0119.html).

- Using network change detection, from active probes (e.g. Tripwire for
Network Devices) and/or passive monitoring (e.g. carefully crafted IDS
policies or flow-based IDS, also Securify might fall in here) to detect
changes that might fall into the 'potential vulnerability' category.

- VDS (vulnerability detection systems) that operate in the same
continuously monitoring manner as an IDS but are monitoring for
vulnerabilities and not intrusions, and by nature have a look and feel
that is much more IDS than scanner.

-Dave

David J. Meltzer
djm () intrusec com