IDS mailing list archives

RE: slow scans?

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 12:02:16 -0500

And on top of this, I really question any claim of ability to reliably
detect a scan that takes place over a period of extended time (weeks or
longer) where the attacker keeps changing IP addresses (and by that I mean
totally different networks, not just doing "ipdown" and "ipup" on their
cablemodem-connected linux box).  Between backscatter that may come from DoS
attacks, mis-typed IP addresses (I once had a full blown SNMP scan of my net
because someone did a 16 bit netmask instead of 24 bits), and other noise.
I would assume that anyone so paranoid and sneaky as to jump around so much
would also randomize the order in which ports were scanned, and very
possibly throw some variety into the type of scan as well.  You certainly
couldn't have an alert trigger on this without DoSing your brain with false
alarms.