IDS mailing list archives

Re: slow scans?

From: Anton Chuvakin <anton () chuvakin org>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 16:38:01 -0500 (EST)

Ron,

Thanks for the response.

It really depends on what you want to know.
Just the fact that an unknown party is doing the reconnoissance.

For example, if you want to detect someone trying to do slow
TCP host enumeration, you really need a tool that can see all
of the RST packets coming from a network. Since the source
address of the scan may be varied, you would need something
that could say:
RST tracking is a good idea. There are a couple of drawbacks. Networks
with many open ports or (the opposite) heavily firewalled to drop packets
would not be able to use it.

"I've seen a RST packet leave from a high port on 100+ machines
What about 5 machines, would you want to trigger on that? RST tracking
also seems to suffer from false positives a bit.

To my knowledge, Dragon and NFR do look for these sorts of
scans.
Well, PORTSCAN X Y Z is probably not the best for the slow scans, but I am
sure you know better. To test it, I just set the Z on the Dragon I have
here to 10000, let's see what will happen.

Also, protocol-flow anomaly detection tools like
Stealthwatch have longer resolution for these sorts of things.
But do they have the good algorithm, that is the question.

Personally, the advantage is on the attacker, as they can
Very true, especially for multiple sources.

one of the things we did in Dragon was to look for 'hot ports'.
Like PSTRIGGER?

tell with much greater accuracy what has occurred than a
proprietary algorithm.
I am about to test that. The concern is whether the random noise
will drown the slow scan data in this case...

Best,
--
  Anton A. Chuvakin, Ph.D., GCIA
     http://www.chuvakin.org