IDS mailing list archives

RE: Active response... some thoughts.

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:06:23 -0500

I think the "all-or-nothing" attitude (well put, btw) comes from experience
with clients, who often take multi-part, comprehensive solutions and merely
implement the one piece that they think will do the job for them.  We've all
seen it...the bean-counters come in and before you know it, you're trying to
explain why they need everything you told them, not just the one thing that
(on the surface, through non-technical eyes that don't know TCP from UDP)
looks like a magic bullet.  Indeed, even with technical eyes, I seem to
remember some posts back during a heated discussion about IPS a few months
back where some seemed to think it was more of a solution than it really is
at this point.