IDS mailing list archives

RE: Top IPS vendors - please read for invitation to Network World review.

From: "Evans, Arian" <Arian.Evans () fishnetsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 08:55:52 -0500

et al,

You forgot the one of the newest: www.forescout.com

I wouldn't call their product Host IPS, if you are responding to
the request below.

It's definitely a network product; not sure IPS is right; it's more
about blocking traffic based upon identification of recon, sending
fake responses, etc. It's something you'd throw out on your
extended edge and help cut down on what gets past that....
e.g.-reduce firewall and IDS traffic/logs. Has pretty reports.

Not sure where I'd really put it. It's definitely a step above
TCP-reset technology but it sure won't scrub directed attack
traffic so IPS doesn't seem to fit.

Pentasafe/now/NetIQ VSAWS is Host IPS. Part tripwire part
HTTP traffic sanitization.

Cheers,

Arian Evans
Sr. Security Engineer
FishNet Security

Phone:  816.421.6611
Toll Free:  888.732.9406
Fax:  816.421.6677

http://www.fishnetsecurity.com

note: Microsoft Office XP breaks text-based
email by default.

Turn off the "remove extra line breaks" located
at |Tools|Options|Email Options if this formats
incorrectly.
#