Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: Magosányi Árpád <mag () magwas rulez org>
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 06:30:32 +0200

On 2011-04-28 21:35, Tracy Reed wrote:
On Thu, Apr 28, 2011 at 08:05:20AM +0200, Magosányi Árpád spake thusly:

Doing this they came out with a definition which goes against basic
security principles and empties the meaning of the word to the
extent which makes nearly pointless to have "firewalls".
I think it would be hard to make the argument that it is pointless to
have packet filters.

Yes, packet filters are needed to have basic domain separation. But that can be achieved in the routers as well. Yes, separation of security controls from operation is a good practice, but you
 1. cannot do meaningful separation without net ops anyway
 2. can designate routers to that
Yes, there are still some possible minor functionality losses and other problems, but honestly I have seen complex firewall setups which would have been achieved better with some routers. Yes, this is not always the case, this is why I have used the word "nearly".

How would defining a firewall as a packet filter go
against basic security principles? You could then simply say you need a
firewall (packet filter) AND these various other proxies and tools to
secure your network. Perhaps we are not really doing ourselves a favor
by overloading the word "firewall" to such an extent?

SPF technology is what goes against basic security principles, namely "default deny". I don't like to argue about words, because they are just labels, and if there is an agreement on the meaning of the label, it is utterly unimportant how the label looks like. This is why it would have been totally perfect to define "firewall" as packet filter at the beginning. (Only that firewalls were invented to do things which packet filters cannot.) But if you redefine a word to mean much less than it have meant before, you will have a gap. When the auditor recommends firewall to defend an application, it means "defend", which is much more than "separate mostly, but leave it wide open on the biggest attack vectors".

This led to a state of affairs where there is practically no
discussion about a lot of important questions of network perimeter
defense, because the majority of the "firewall" people are kept in a
darkness about the issue to the extent that they do not have the
background even to ask the right questions.
What are some of the questions that you feel get overlooked?

Information flow control policy, labeling, the relationship of network perimeter defense to the enterprise data-, application-, and technical architecture. You might have noticed that DoD have invented the notion(buzzword) of "enclave". I haven't seen much discussion even here on how that notion can be interpreted for various cases in the commercial world.

This means that even though those same vendors now would be in the
position to implement actually meaningful features, they do not do
it because they have conditioned their consumers to not think about
such things.
I think they have simply failed to educate the customer of the value of
those features. The vendors are constantly looking for ways to
differentiate themselves in what has fast become a commodity market.
Why doesn't the customer care? If I see two boxes on the shelf with the
same price but one seems to offer more security than the other I'm going
to buy that one. But the additional perceived security just isn't there
for the customer.

My point is exactly that the lack of customer education from vendors is the direct result of the marketing campaign which redefined the meaning of firewall: After saying so many times that whole classes of security functions doesn't belong to firewalls, it would be so inconsistent to state that firewalls should have those functions, that even customers in the US would have noticed that there is something wrong there.

When you see someone trying to correct this "firewall = packet
filter" nonsense, you actually see a vain attempt to correct these
mistakes. Because the first step is to meaningfully discuss
something is to have meaningful definitions.
I understand and appreciate that a firewall can be more than just a
packet filter. But to insist that a packet filter is not a firewall does
not seem to accomplish anything because then you have to define exactly
what a firewall really does require to be called a firewall which can
get quite complicated.

The idea that all of that functionality should be in one box or provided
by one vendor bothers me also. It seems to violate the UNIX philosophy
of do one thing and do it well.

You have a very valid point here. Do one thing and do it well. This is why a firewall doesn't do packet filtering or tcp session handling. It leaves those functions to the operating system; using, defining and controlling them in the same way an application uses, defines and controls the underlying database.