Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: david () lang hm
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:13:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, ArkanoiD wrote:

As I am still running the OpenFWTK project, I have to admit I get
little to *NO* support form Opensource community.

I very rarely hear about openfwtk and I'm in the business. I know of
very few companies who have deployed or want to run proxies. Most just
stick with stateful packet filtering and maybe a squid/varnish proxy for
http and call it a day. In order to have community support you have to
have a community. There are 30 people in #shorewall on freenode.net and
for nearly 10 years now there has always been someone to help out
whenever I had an issue. The mailing list is quite active also. Tom
Eastep does a fantastic job of running the project working with the
community. openfwtk-devel at
http://sourceforge.net/mail/?group_id=192764 has 7 subscribers and 10
emails in the archive over years. And no IRC channel. It is barely
visible at all on the net. You don't get community support if you have
no community.

Exactly how am i expected to get the community?

for one thing, release early, release often

the last release showing up on sourceforge under files is 2.0 in 2007, with a snapshot release dated Aug 2010 and short of diving into CVS, no other snapshots appear to be available. From the discussions we've been having, you have been doing more work on this in the meantime, but you need to do releases, even if they are small ones, showing progress and fixes.

David Lang