Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Proxies, opensource and the general market: what's wrong with us?

From: David Lang <david () lang hm>
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 13:59:11 -0700

On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 00:25:37 -0700, Tracy Reed wrote:

I understand packet filters and proxies to be firewalls. A lot of the rest of the stuff (DLP, endpoint discovery, OCR, etc. etc.) seem like separate pieces
of software. Security related, sure, but not firewalls.

> Depends on what you mean by "real". I know tons of people look at the
> Linux firewall code.

You mean packet filter code? :-)

Yes. Here we have a problem somewhat like the classical meaning of
"hacker" vs
the common meaning of "hacker". And this firewall vs packet filter debate may not even have that much legitimacy. I can find a number of people who still subscribe to the classical idea of a hacker but a few of the denizens of this mailing list are the only ones I know of who insist on issuing a correction when someone calls a packet filter a firewall. It just seems like pointless
snobbery.

however, this issue is key to the problem

I don't object to a packet filter being defined as a firewall.

however I do object when people define packet filter == firewall and say that anything other than packet filters is not a firewall (and doesn't belong as part of a firewall), but is instead something else.

A firewall is a device that controls access through it.

or

A firewall is a device or software that you use to implement your security policy.

this can be via packet filters, proxies, IPS, or anything else.

don't try to define it more narrowly. a few of the big vendors have done the industry a HUGE disservice by redefining the term 'firewall' to mean a packet filter, and nothing but a packet filter.

David Lang