Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The Cybersecurity Act of 2009 (was: SCADA)

From: Chris Blask <chris () blask org>
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2009 11:13:55 -0700 (PDT)

Steven M. Bellovin <smb () cs columbia edu>

I wrote a long analysis of the bill in my blog; see
http://www.cs.columbia.edu/~smb/blog/2009-04/2009-04-12.html

Hey Steve,

Thanks for the link.  The Moose is much more a political than a technical audience so my commentary there reflects that
but - in short - I share many of your technical concerns.  There is a fair bit of technical specificity that doesn't
really seem to either belong in a law or seem likely to actually work.

I suppose the best thing in my view about this bill is that it pushes the discussion sooner rather than later.  I think
we may have reached a point of diminishing returns in waving our hands and drawing on whiteboards in front of
politicians.  As awkward as it may be, it is possible that trying to struggle through crafting and implementing
legislation could be what it takes to clarify the realm of possibilities for all parties (and, heck, we could even find
that some of our assumptions were incorrect, too).

I will restrain myself by sheer force of will from debating most of the fine points (Identity!) at the moment.  More
interesting for the purpose of this list atm is to see what level of general consternation and/or agreement our fellow
fellows have with it.

-chris