Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: SCADA (or: How I learned to love receiving FWW in digest form)

From: Mike Barkett <mbarkett () us checkpoint com>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2009 08:23:19 -0700

Yeah, I know the subject line makes me sound like a fuddy-duddy.  Anyway, because this is apparently a
last-one-to-post-wins thread, I figured I'd chime in.

It seems that all of us subscribe to differing degrees of the same possibly incorrect notion... that all systems must
be connected to something.  If a system risks failure due to being connected to an infrastructure that will also fail
along with it, then maybe the net value of such connectivity is greatly diminished.  I believe Marcus' artist friend
rather elegantly made a similar point.

We've already talked about solving the logging problem with physical air gaps and a connectionless logger.  Save for
physical access and possibly a dedicated leased line to an isolated emergency outpost (for example, to try to remediate
things if physical access is too dangerous for humans, or to manually apply patches IF applicable), why introduce any
additional risk?

-MAB