Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Cisco Security Manager clone?

From: Bruce Platt <Bruce () ei3 com>
Date: Fri, 2 May 2008 14:25:19 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: David Blahut [mailto:dablahut () vassar edu]
Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 8:55 AM
To: Firewall Wizards Security Mailing List
Subject: Re: [fw-wiz] Cisco Security Manager clone?

Mike,

Take a look at Expect: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expect

I know it can be used to access many devices and make the same config
change over and over. That may help automate your needed
changes to all
your sites.

Hmmmh.  The best example of the use of expect in this arena is rancid
 (http://www.shrubbery.net/rancid/)

But, I think rancid is more oriented towards the tracking of changes which
have been made
and the backing up of existing configurations.

Now to include the changing of configs into rancid, that's an idea.  But it
would take
better skills than mine :-(

bruce

Good Luck,
-d

Mike Davis wrote:

This is my first posting so be gentle ;-)

I have an environment that is all Cisco based firewalls for my edge
protection and site to site vpns. I have a little over 100 remote
sites running on ASA 5505’s with an AES Tunnel to both the primary
(HQ) and secondary (DR ) sites. It is working quite nicely and has
been for years now but the problem I have is this… all my
remote site
firewalls are not centrally managed in the sense that I can
make one
change in a console and push it globally to all my remote
firewalls so
that when a change is required, I have to log into each and
every one
(I use SSH) and make the changes.

I know that Cisco Security Manager will allow me to do that
but at the
100K pricetag I was quoted from Cisco with the blink of an
eye… I just
cannot put that into my budget.

Does anyone know of or can recommend any freeware or low-cost-ware
application that will allow me to monitor and make global config
changes without having to SSH to each one? The ability to segregate
into groups and manage based upon groups would certainly be
a plus as
well but not a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

*Mike Davis*