Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

QUERY: centralized firewall policy management across multiple vendors

From: william fitzgerald <wfitzgerald () tssg org>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2008 12:25:42 +0100

Dear Firewall Experts,

Is there a firewall policy configuration management tool/appliance that can incorporate multiple firewall vendor rules management under one roof?

What I mean is, are there tools that have a generic syntax/language or GUI frontend that can represent for example cisco and juniper netscreen syntax/policy rule sets?

Example Trivial Scenario:
I have 2 firewalls back-to-back with a service running behind them both. Normally one would have to write a firewall rule for the cisco firewall using cisco syntax to permit that services port traffic and then write another equivalent rule on the juniper firewall.

I would like to investigate the generic policy syntax/GUI tool set whereby one (business/firewall) generic rule can be written (permit access to service X) and it *magically* writes rules for multiple vendor firewalls installed on the network.

Any pointers to existing technologies is greatly appreciated if any.

regards,
Will.
--
William M. Fitzgerald,