Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Secure Computing Sidewinder?

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 13:43:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 10 Jun 2008, Paul Hutchings wrote:

When I looked, replacing the ISA Server actually would cost more than
a 210E.  Now granted the 210E is the baby of the range, but looking

Last time I played with ISA, it wasn't an application-layer gateway, it
was a bastardized SOCKS circuit-layer gateway.  That means it was doing
more to enforce what connected than what went through it.

I am also impressed with the Sidewinders credentials, I was googling

There was a school of thought (and I was in it for a long while, though
not particularly on the Sidewinder implementation) that said that you had
to trust your firewall and ensure it couldn't be used to harm your
network, and it couldn't be compromised if you wanted to handle different
users differently.

That meant trusted systems implementations.  Sidewinder does a good job of
that, unfortunately in the real world, people decided they'd let
pretty-much anything tunnel through their firewalls to pretty-much any
client[1]- so the firewall couldn't ever be the weak link, and therefore
didn't need to be that difficult to write, validate and administer.  Plus
they decided things like calander applications and MS's single sign on
beat protecting their servers.  So despite the better security model of a
proxy, packet filters pretty much won the day.

Paul
[1] The only redeeming feature I saw of using ISA was enforcing what
client programs could connect to it, but SRPs are a better way to enforce
that IMO, and I'd still be wary of not shielding one with another system.