Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Nat Limitations?

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 10:03:28 -0400

From what you have said, I am guessing you want to do this:

res hall 1      res hall 2      res hall 3....
        |               |               |
         \              |            /
                huge central fwsm

                   internet

I am guessing you want to segment each res hall off using a single
inclusive VLAN, then NAT it in a central switch or router.  I think
you should reconsider.  Instead of NATing centrally, why not NAT on
the edge?  You can use multiple VLANs, one per res hall, and multiple
NAT's.

End result--further segmentation for better security, reduced load
on your central switch or router (save the CPU for BGP and/or
ACLs--and raw speed!)

Individual concerns:

1.  concurrent translations limitation.  Not a problem with the above.
2.  I weep for the RIAA.  You don't have to help them.  You just have
to act in accordance with applicable laws.  If they give you one of
their John Doe warrants with a single IP address that they claim
corresponds to one person, you can tell them to be more specific due
to NAT.  The burden lies on them.
3.  The above topography would work better for rate limiting.  Less
people would be affected by one or two bandwidth hawgs.
4.  Certain applications might well break.  NAT tends to break UDP
apps more than TCP.  It also tends to interfere with servers.  Your
students will not be able to run servers as easily, except inside
the residence halls.

You might want to do this to one residence hall first to test it.
There is no substitute for real-world testing--who knows what
bizarre effects might occur.

One problem you might not have considered is the move to IPv6.  You
should NOT invest this much time and effort into such a huge
NAT infrastructure if you plan to move to IPv6 in the next 4 years.

--p