Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Nat Limitations?

From: jason () tacorp com
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:03:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I'm interested in hearing some thoughts on a topology I'm considering in
pursuing.  On a mid sized college campus, we have the funding to
physically segment the residence halls from the rest of the campus
network.  This is a huge win from a security perspective among other
things.  We've also begun using a separate provider for bandwidth.  A
long-term goal would be to hand the management of these buildings off to a
company who can maintain it to reduce our headaches.

So, in building it we want to make it as portable as possible.  As such,
NAT comes to mind so we don't have to re-number it if a different provider
takes it.  It also has a number of other advantages which I'm sure are
well known.

The problem is that I'm concerned about the number of translations that
will happen in these buildings.  Currently this part of the network is
allocated a /19 and we estimate there are just over 4,000 residents.

I see some of the pitfalls being:

* The cisco FWSM is limited to 256K concurrent translations.  That's only
64 per user.  Bit-torrent is likely to slaughter that.

* It's harder to handle RIAA complaints since everything comes from a
different public address.

* Rate limiting (packet shaping) is currently done at the ISP for these
buildings.  We'll have to move that inside (more $$) or do protocol
shaping instead of by IP address.

* Certain applications may break, etc.

So my question is:

Has anyone tried to NAT this many of a certain type of user?

and

Do the benefits outweight the caveats?

Jason Mishka - "I'm like a Subway in a land of McDonalds..."