Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewalls that generate new packets..

From: "Marcus J. Ranum" <mjr () ranum com>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 23:01:53 -0500

Darren Reed wrote:
Marcus, don't you find it funny that people are coming up
with new terms to describe technology that is even more
lame than what has been available via open source for more
than 10 years now?

I don't find it FUNNY at all. I find it:
"unilateral deep stateful limp induction"
or, in other words:
"lame"

I mean, would you buy a firewall that did stateful filtering, proxying
or deep packet inspection?  I mean, what sounds sexier?

You've got a really good point there. If I were going to write
another firewall, I think I'd call it a:
"male member enhancing massive state packet pumper"
I'd have tennis elbow from cashing all the checks.

The reason that I show frustration about this is because, while
I know that most people are intellectually lazy and fall for
marketing, I expected better from the security community.
My bad.

mjr.