Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Firewall scaling

From: Ian Searle <ians () potatoplanet org>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 11:09:33 -0700

Um.... I used to work at a firewall company and with each new release
I would monitor the product's performance.  We easily had 100-200
users behind this particular firewall, including a mail-server and I
NEVER saw the number of connections get anywhere near 32,000.  1/3 to
1/5 of that number is more like it.

It doesn't sound like you are dealing with very experienced people.
Perhaps the best you can do is gather anecdotal evidence (like this)
and use that?

Ian Searle
ians () potatoplanet org

P.S.  There were times when I would send and email to "all@...."
asking everyone to surf the web all at the same time.  Still, we
never hit anything like 32k connections.