Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

open source web application firewall

From: "Darden, Patrick S." <darden () armc org>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 10:50:15 -0500

With all of our talk on application layer firewalls, I thought this would be appropo.

Marketing warning:
http://www.linuxlookup.com/2007/dec/06/breach_securitys_modsecurity_open_source_web_application_firewall

Project Home: http://www.modsecurity.org/

Anybody used or worked on this open source web application firewall?  Anybody have any details on it?  I'd never heard
of it until I saw the marketing blurb at lxer.com (linux portal).  I would be interested in hearing of anyone's
experiences with it.

From what I have gleaned:

        apache 2.x module
        rule based http request and response inspection
        supports:       black list model (looks for known signatures of malicious requests)
                        white list model (excludes all but known good requests)
                        extrusion detection (e.g. soc sec #s)
        core rule set includes
                http protection
                common web attacks protection