Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: Info Request: Looking for alternatives in HA/Load balancing firewalls that are also scalable and modular. . .

From: Jan Tietze <jan.tietze () netheads de>
Date: Sat, 8 Apr 2006 18:02:58 +0000

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006 16:06:42 -0400, "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com> wrote:
Sounds like a big firewall.  I'm curious, though, as to why load-balancing
is a requirement.  My experience has been that an appropriately-sized
single
firewall as part of a fail-over pair is more reliable and performs better
than a comparable load-balanced firewall.

I'd say that's really implementation specific. I can see why this would be the case, but that really depends on the
actual solution.

The only other firewall vendor I can think of that does (or at least
claims
to do) load-balancing is Symantec Enterprise Firewall.  However, you may
also want to look at third-party load-balancing solutions like Radware
FireProof or Foundry ServerIron.

StoneSoft StoneGate has really neat clustering with dynamic re-distribution of load etc. They also used to do deliver
load balancing solutions for Checkpoint for a long time.

-- Jan