Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: The home user problem returns

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:44:30 -0400 (EDT)

"Bill Royds" <bill () royds net> wrote:

One of the main problems with MS Operating Systems is that one must run
as root (administrator) to make it useful since a local user can't even
use things like USB ports since they require admin privileges to
connect.
[snip]

Yes, I know.  We've tried, at work, to limit users to non-admin
privileges and often found ourselves having to give 'em admin privs in
the end :/.

<rant>
What in the Wide, Wide World of Sports is freakin' *wrong* with those
people over at Microsoft?  After all these years, they *still* can't
seem to get it right.  It's almost as if they looked at all the good,
sane practices implemented by other operating systems, applications,
and IT professionals and said "We'll do it the other way."
</rant>

Even if MS did get its head out of its posterior (I'm not holding my
breath), I still maintain that a general purpose operating system is
not appropriate for an appliance--which is what MS, in this instance,
is marketing their product as to the general public.  For an appliance,
you have to think "something nor more involved than a refrigerator,
kitchen stove, washing machine or automobile."

When Wintel PeeCees first started replacing X-Terminals in my
workplace, people thought my objection was anti-MS/anti-Windows bias.
"No," I explained, "I'd be little happier if what was replacing the
X-terms was desktop Linux or Solaris boxes.  A general purpose OS on
every desktop decreases reliability, decreases security, and increases
maintenance and expense."

Jim