Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: The home user problem returns

From: jseymour () linxnet com (Jim Seymour)
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:50:38 -0400 (EDT)

Mason Schmitt <mason () schmitt ca> wrote:

[snip]

I don't think people should have to know much about computer security,
"security apps" like anti-virus, firewalls, etc.  I think that computers
should be ubiquitous, non intrusive and largely trustworthy.  The
problem is that this is so far from current reality as to be easily
confused with fantasy.
[snip]

As long a companies like Microsoft continue to sell a general purpose
operating system to the public, much of it poorly thought-out and/or
poorly designed and/or poorly coded, complete with applications that
are "designed" with a fine disregard for what those of us with more
sense regard as "security boundaries," representing it all as an easy,
user-friendly, maintenance-free "experience," this will not change.

Jim