Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: MJR on Linux/OSS

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 11:43:47 -0800

Marcus J. Ranum wrote:

Aside from ego-reasons, who needs 60 different versions
of UNIX? Scott McNealy was right when he suggested, "all
the wood behind one arrow" - I suspect that most UNIX
users would be thrilled to death if there was just one darned
UNIX again. I wouldn't care which. I can adapt O/S knowledge
in a couple weeks. I just don't want to do it every week. :)
Uhm ... two, please. I have had enough experience with OS monopolization from Redmond, thanks.

Fortunately, going down to one distro is unlikely to ever happen to the FOSS UNIXes. As soon as someone got a monopoly lock on Linux, they would start acting arrogant, people would start to hate them, and someone would feel motivated to fork. Some say this has already happened :)

I think there is a nice dynamic stabilization effect here. Business pressures tend to cause convergence; business only supports a very small number of distros, and wants that number to get smaller. But when that number gets too small, fragmentation happens and the number gets larger again.

If you go look for Linux distros, there are at least a hundred. But if you go look at what enterprises are using, you see a *much* smaller number. In my travels, I have encountered Red Hat, SuSE, Debian (once), and Slackware (once). Business is effectively defragmenting the Linux market quite nicely, thanks.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com