Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

RE: MJR on Linux/OSS

From: "Bill Royds" <broyds () rogers com>
Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 22:47:46 -0500

I think Marcus is perfectly correct. But the real advantage for Redmond is the
fact that almost every Intel box sold at retail runs Windows XP out of the box.
Who wants to install any Linux distro when they have an OS adequate for what
they want to do already for "free". The fact that you pay for Windows in your
purchase price is irrelevant when Dell and HP/Compaq and IBM and ... etc. come
equipped with Windows unless you go to GREAT EFFORT to avoid it.
   Microsoft beat the U.S. government in the anti-trust case when it was not
forced to unbundle Windows and sell it only at retail. If users had to go to
Best Buy and chose between Windows or Red Hat (or Debian, SUSE, Gentoo, Mandrake
etc.) to install on their new machine, they might make the OSS choice, but they
don't get that choice. Software publishers aren't stupid. They make products for
the marketplace and the marketplace for desktops is mainly Windows, with a bit
of a specialty niche for Apple.