Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Equifax Canada

From: Mark Teicher <mht3 () earthlink net>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 22:03:23 -0400

If we return to the gold standard, or "cash 'n' carry".. Some of these issues would alleviate themselves. How many people do you know go around with less than $10.00 in their wallet and just carry plastic. As a society we have become dependent plastic items with mag stripes on the back. How many people go to gas stations that only accept cash ?? How many 7-11's are starting to question if you open up your wallet and pay for your items in cash?? But yet, still have the markings on the door to get a possible or potential assailants height.

Pretty soon, one could be punished for cutting up their credit cards just as the mattress people warn us not to remove the tag.

At 07:07 PM 6/20/2005, Paul D. Robertson wrote:
On Mon, 20 Jun 2005, R. DuFresne wrote:

> But are the worth of the data here merely relational to the cost of
> contacting those clients whose information was compromised?  Maybe to the

The value of the data to the custodian of the data is a lot less than it
is to the attacker or person who's data it is.

> company, but, I'm willing to bet the clients consider this data much more
> vauable then that, I would, and their costs, the clients is not yet
> ended, esepcially if their victims of identity theft...

Nope, their clients aren't really the folks they're keeping the data on...

> > It is true, they loose some credibility
>
> Which is another sense of the value and loss incurred in this case, an
> additional loss.

But it doesn't really matter to their clients.

Paul