Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Equifax Canada

From: "Adrian Grigorof" <adi () grigorof com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 00:27:43 -0400

Apparently this was caused by "improper use of a customer's access codes and
security password". Can Equifax force its customers (basically all the
credit institutions and many others) to use a method of authentication
stronger than a user id/password combination? To quote a recent post from
Marcus J. Ranum:

How many of you could tell your customers *that*?!   People scream
and whine over the idea of putting firewalls in (still) - now, attempting
to enforce a local policy against a business partner - that's patently
ridiculous. Right? Well, technically it's NOT ridiculous, but everyone
has basically blown it off.

It is surely cheaper to call 600 customers once a year (ok, make that twice
a year) than enforcing an expensive authentication infrastructure. Is it not
a basic principle in IT security that the cost of securing same data should
be less than what that data is worth? It is true, they loose some
credibility but since they have almost monopoly on the credit checking
business (there is only one other company) that's still cheaper than
changing the authentication process. Some heads will probably roll but I
doubt there will be any major changes and I expect they will be in the news
again sometime in the future... Besides, compared to 40 million credit
cards, 600 credit reports are not that bad, eh? Go Canada ;)

If I am not mistaken, the previous incident (March 2004) was a case of
"criminals masquerading as credit grantors" but I bet the firewall guy(s)
were again the scapegoats:(

Regards,

Adrian Grigorof
www.firegen.com