Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: FW: VOIP versus PBX

From: "Paul D. Robertson" <paul () compuwar net>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:43:51 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Michael H wrote:

We just moved to a VoIP system and the 911 calls are routed through them but
with our address and number shown as the source. Part of the approval
process is us actually calling 911 with a test call and validating what they
see.

But are your calls routed to a national center for your VIOP provider with
their tracking info, or directly to your local municipal E911 center?

As far as I recall, the VoIP providers were all doing it to their own call
centers if they were doing it at all.

In reference to previous posts on security, this company is addressing that
by us using a dedicated t1 through their offices. This way they control the
connection from our phone eventually to a POTS connection. This seems like a
decent idea for keeping folks who are not customers from disrupting the
system but I'm a little worried about those who are customers.

If you're still paying for a T-1, then I assume your savings are all local
loop and potentially IXC charges?

Paul