Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: VOIP versus PBX

From: Scott Stursa <stursa () mailer fsu edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:47:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 15 Jul 2005, Yehuda Goldenberg wrote:

Our company is looking to replace an antiquated phone system.

So far, so good.

I was leaning towards using a traditional PBX, because I figured that it
would be more reliable and it wouldn't be subject to the problems of IP
networks.

That's a good direction to be leaning.

One vendor is trying to get me to change my mind about that. He claims
that we can keep the voice and data networks completely separate by
running vlans. The IP phones have vlan switches on them and one wire can
be run to each desk and the pc and the phone can be on separate vlans.

Let's hope the phones' "vlan switches" are 802.1Q compliant...

I was concerned that problems on the data network such as viruses would
still bring down the whole thing, and in addition to the pcs not
working, the phones wouldn't work either and it would be total mayhem.
He says that QOS would make sure that the phone calls always go through
even if the data network is completely dead.

Then he has a very narrow definition of "completely dead". If a network
switch is Dos'd-to-99%-CPU or just plain crashed, then packets won't be
getting through regardless of the value of the QOS field.

I was also concerned that the VOIP system would mean every call - even
desk-to-desk would go through the internet

Probably true if the VOIP PBX is not on your premises.

and if the T1 to the internet
goes down, the phones don't work. His answer to that was redundant T1
links,

Which probably will run over the same strand of fiber.

and since they are the ISP and the VOIP provider, they will give
us a reliable network that won't go down. Also all the VOIP equipment on
their end is redundant.

You need more than redundant equipment to guarantee reliability. They
should also have redundant gateways to different POTS (Plain Old Telephone
Service) carriers (after all, 99% of the calls you'll be making will be to
phones on POTS).

I've been doing a little research on this subject because last week I
applied for a position at a university which is planning a
wholesale migration to VOIP (the position is with their TeleCom dept,
which apparently is recruiting in order to have some in-house IP expertise).

The position posting had some supplemental questions, one of which was
"What do you feel is the biggest challenge facing such a migration?"

I replied that their biggest challenge would be achieving comparable
reliability, and the biggest challenge to that is security. Traditional
telephony systems are pretty well isolated from those seeking to disrupt
them, and with VOIP you lose that inherent isolation. "It is a sad fact
that too many IT systems and networks are deployed without regard for
security considerations. Security is usually adressed after-the-fact, and
as a result is usually inadequate. Regardless of whether you select me for
your position, I hope you recognize the need to engineer-in security from
the start..."

Which pretty much guarantees I won't get the position, 'cause we all know
that most folks outside our profession regard ITsec as an inconvenient
obstacle to doing their job.

So I don't feel I'm risking much, by stating in this public forum:

Don't do it. Stick with a traditional (non-VOIP) PBX.

Regards,

- SLS

p.s. ran across this while looking into VOIP:

http://www.boingboing.net/2005/06/28/voipinacan_sysco_ip_.html