Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

FW: VOIP versus PBX

From: "Yehuda Goldenberg" <Yehuda () nj essutton com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 14:31:50 -0400

I didn't ask about 911 tracking, but I would assume since all phone calls are handled centrally at their location, and
they are providing the internet link and the phone service, they should be able to do 911 tracking.

They told me that the desktop instruments are powered by POE switches - I suppose those can be backed up by battery and
generator if needed. All routing equipment along the path to the internet would need to be backed up also. This is
anyway irrelevant because it's replacing a PBX with no power protection.

I don't know enough about QOS to know how a host in a different vlan than the phones can cross the vlan to shut down
the phone network but I do know enough to ask.