Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 08:35:52 -0800

Danny wrote:

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 18:56:58 -0800, Crispin Cowan <crispin () immunix com> wrote:
Shimon Silberschlag wrote:

Today, when attacks are shifting towards using the already open ports
on the firewall, at the application level,
It is often said that contemporary attacks are migrating to
application-level attacks. Can someone point me to data backing this claim?

How do you define contemporary attacks? All attacks except for those
at the application-level?
Attacks within the last few years. "contemporary" is not the deep part of the question :)

Note that I actually do believe that most attacks are now at the application level. But I am looking for *evidence*, or at least a claim I didn't just make up :) to back up this opinion.

Crispin

--
Crispin Cowan, Ph.D.  http://immunix.com/~crispin/
CTO, Immunix          http://immunix.com