Firewall Wizards mailing list archives

Re: Application-level Attacks

From: Adam Shostack <adam () homeport org>
Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 11:45:55 -0500

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 09:24:12PM +0530, Devdas Bhagat wrote:
| On 27/01/05 18:56 -0800, Crispin Cowan wrote:
| > Shimon Silberschlag wrote:
| >
| > > Today, when attacks are shifting towards using the already open ports
| > > on the firewall, at the application level,
| >
| > It is often said that contemporary attacks are migrating to
| > application-level attacks. Can someone point me to data backing this claim?
|
| Or the reverse, data showing that older attacks were not application
| layer attacks (packet flooding and the rare ping of death attact excepted).

I think that older attacks were not application-layer from a business
perspective; they may have been at one layer or another of the
technical stack, but they rarely attacked core business
functionality.  I think that a combination of technical factors (more
money moved through internet systems) and social ones (attackers who
are in it for the money) combine to make a new type of attack.

Richard Bejtlich asked some similar questions at:
http://taosecurity.blogspot.com/2005/01/application-vulnerabilities-are-not.html,
and I responded at http://www.emergentchaos.com/archives/000840.html:

I think that Richard is both right, in that there's no big technical
shift, and wrong, in that the attacks will mature. As I said a few
days ago, the attackers will become more clever in using the attacks
to make money. There's also a perception issue, a blowback, if you
will, of the success of database-driven vulnerability scanners like
ISS and Nessus. These scanners are very effective at finding
instances of the sorts of vulnerabilities that get CVE entries. They
are less effective, if they even try, at finding vulnerabilities in
your locally developed application. Here tools like those from
Kavado and SPI Dynamics do much better. Rather than working from a
database of flaws, they inspect a web application for classes of
flaw, by running attacks against the site in a controlled way. So
the success of the database-driven scanners is that people think
that they can run those scanners and learn how an attacker can get
in. And that's correct. But no tool will give you a complete
list. And so I expect that what the SANS folks are talking about is
a rise in attacks against the business infrastructure, rather than
the technical infrastructure. If they're not, they should be.